Definitely would not stay here again. When we arrived our non-smoking room smelled like cigarettes all throughout the room. We were upgraded to one of the newly renovated rooms after talking to Frank at the front desk, who was amazing and very accommodating. That night there was a “leak” and we didn’t have water. We were told the water would be restored in 4 hours, it was after 10pm.....There are active renovations happening there as well and none of the guests were wearing face coverings and were walking through the lobby shoeless and drinking beer....It was an all around bad experience, but the staff was helpful in trying to mediate issues and eventually getting me a refund since I checked out the same day I got there.