If it’s your first time traveling during the COVID-19 pandemic, you’ll notice a raft of new rules and standards in place. Take note of these tips and make your escape to Catalonia go off without a hitch:
- Before locking in your flight, find out if any travel restrictions or bans apply — in both your origin and destination. Stay informed with the latest updates by reviewing government and travel websites.
- When you pass through airport screening, keep your face mask on. You will be asked to lower it briefly to confirm your identity. Passengers who refuse to wear a mask may be fined and denied boarding.
- Instead of handing a TSA officer your boarding pass, position it directly on the reader yourself. When that’s done, hold it up for inspection.
- TSA now permits passengers to take one container of hand sanitizer, up to 12 oz (350 ml) in size, in carry-on bags. This will have to be removed from your bag at the X-ray machine for scanning.
- To minimize handling during the screening process, put items such as your belt, phone and wallet into your carry-on instead of into the bins.
- Separate any food you’re carrying for screening. Food items often trigger the alarm. Putting them in a clear plastic bag and into a bin reduces the need for a TSA employee to handle and inspect your belongings.