If you like beds that are way too soft, you are not vegan, are not put on the 4th floor and you can live with a schizophrenic shower... then you will probably have a great stay. Let me elaborate.
There is a lot to like about this hotel:
- The pool temperature was enjoyable on cooler (20C degree) days and the pool area and poolside service is great
- Overall the staff were excellent and attentive, the best service experience I have had for a long time
- Wifi is excellent throughout the hotel, although not by the pool
- The hotel is decorated very tastefully and looks fantastic
- Puerto del Carmen is in a great location
Unfortunately the hotel is let down by some fundamentals:
- The first floor (they call it the 4th floor) is right above the restaurant. And if you are unlucky enough to be in room 426-436 then your room opens onto the internal atrium, which means any little noise made in the atrium/reception/bar/restaurant/entrance reverberates straight into your room. Asked them to do something, never heard back. Senior manager in Tweed jacket and elbow patches was totally apathetic about it.
- The showers are infuriating. Think warm to cold to scalding within 20 seconds without touching the tap.
- The bed is wayyyy too soft and was impossible to have a good night sleep in, you just sank into it, no support at all.
- Only one vegan lunch option (Penne with tomato sauce) which is pathetic.
Overall great hotel let down by some of the basics.